Develop or lose it, Plaza Rakyat contractor warned
KUALA LUMPUR: The Government will issue a warning to the contractor of Plaza Rakyat, a project that has been abandoned for 12 years, to start work soon or lose the job.
Federal Territories and Urban Well-being Minister Datuk Raja Nong Chik Raja Zainal Abidin said: "In a week or two, we will be issuing a warning to the contractor to continue the project.
"If we don't see any development in two months, then the tender awarded to the contractor will be terminated and a new one will be called," he said after giving Chinese New Year goodies to senior citizens and the disabled in Lembah Pantai parliamentary constituency here on Sunday.
Global Upline Sdn Bhd had been awarded the Plaza Rakyat contract, a mixed development project comprising three buildings for office space, condominium and a budget hotel.
Plaza Rakyat, which in Dec 1992 cost RM1.2 billion, is a joint-venture project between Kuala Lumpur City Hall (DBKL) and Plaza Rakyat Sdn Bhd (PRSB).
Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak had visited the abandoned project twice since taking over as Prime Minister in April 2009.
On compensation to tenants at Plaza Rakyat, Raja Nong Chik said the Government was not involved as it was the responsibility of the project developer.
|Plaza Rakyat Proposed Design|
|location of the project... |
can you see a field on the right side of the project site? that's my school's field... hehe